Someone posted a documentation question earlier and got a pretty good
answer, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to find things out.

I guess I'm a little spoiled by MSDN.  For instance, if I want to know about
file permissions, it would be Really Neat if there were a tool I could run
and enter "file permissions" into a search box, and get a list of matching
pages.

I remember there used to be something called the Linux Documentation
Project.  I'm sure they must still be working on it, but even years ago
there were more Howto's than you could shake a stick at.  I kind of expected
there to be a really cool downloadable manual by now.  Maybe it's out there
and I just haven't found it yet.

I get the impression that the Mandrake people are holding out for some
bucks, figuring people who won't pay for the OS might pay for the docs.
That's fine if that's what they want to do, but there must be a mother lode
of vanilla linux info out there somewhere.  The stuff I downloaded from the
Mandrake site was OK but a little disorganized and obviously incomplete.

Could someone maybe give a road map as to where the Good Documentation is,
and how to get it installed on one's machine?  Or could some of you give
some of your own tips on how you look things up?  It can't all be word of
mouth.

Introducing NetZero Long Distance
1st month Free!