Joan,

>From what I have been able to gather, all the S3 Savage chipsets had some
similar problems both under Windows and Linux. I have not installed 8.2 on
the computer using the S3 Savage 2000 video card; just 9.0. However, my
guess is that this really an X-server problem, not a distro problem, per se.
I tried use the suggestions given from this listeserv and on supporting Web
sites, including using third-party drivers --- nothing worked right for me.
It wasn't until I had to reload a new copy of MDK 9.0 that I made the
decision to use the older XFree86 3.3.6 X-server. It was the best thing for
me.

The problems I was having:

1) If I left myself at the console level long enoug, eventually "[OK]" would
show up to the right of the prompt and my cursor would go to the extreme
left and overwrite part of the prompt.

2) I had to turn off the energy saving feature so that it would not try to
turn the monitor off while in KDE. Doing so would make it hang and turn my
screen out of phase.

3) Screen re-writes from moving windows around were very "dirty" and poorly
rewritten.

I don't have that problem anymore!

If you want to switch back to 3.3.6, you will need to ask someone else for
help, Joan. I haven't gotten that far to be of any help. Sorry. :-D