Title: RE: [newbie] Way, way of topic

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Tom Brinkman
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 10:10 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Way, way of topic

On Wednesday November 6 2002 05:41 am, Silent Bob wrote:
> My Mandrake freezes without warning shortly after reboot. But this
> one is a hardware problem. I tested the harddrive in other machine.

     Booting into X, or to level 3 ?  Booting into X it could be a video
problem. Configure to boot to level 3 till you get things sorted out.

> Does anyone know what is the normal operating temperature for AMD
> duron 1300. Mine is running at 59C and I think that over heating
> could be the problem. Although I have a cooler with 2 fans witch is
> for AMD processors up to 1,5 Ghz

     Most AMD proccesors have a failure temp of ~90 to 95C internal
core. If 59C is from bios it's pretty much useless, the system has just
booted and the cpu is under low load. Your cpu heats very rapidly as
soon as you begin to boot into an OS.  If it's from lm_sensors, it's
comin from a probe (thermistor) that either reads one of the cpu's
pins, or is in contact with the die.  From a pin is slightly better,
but in either case the reported temp is 10 to 20C less than the actual
internal core temp. So 59C could mean a core temp closer to 79C, but
probly ~low 70C's.  Anyway, it's too high.  You want to see reported
probe temps of 45 to 55C under 100% cpu load, 40 to 50C is better.

     Your cooler is probly fine, but do you have it mounted with a
thermal pad or grease? Grease is much better, specially over time. Your
case temps maybe too high to let the cooler do it's job. Take the case
cover off and point a table fan directly into the box aimed at the cpu
and chipset heatsinks. Does the problem go away?  If it doesn't, next
likely culprits are marginal power supply (is yours AMD approved?), or
marginal motherboard/ram (they work together, equally important). Try
testing with memtest86, the rpm is on your CD's. It'll create a lilo
(or grub) option to boot 'memtest86-xx'. Let it run overnight. You
should see -0- errors.

    Your question is not off topic. IMO, most problems reported on this
list have a basis in hardware and configuration, while Mandrake gets
blamed.  At least you've yourself pointed in a good direction, as
hardware problems should always be checked and eliminated first ;)

--
    Tom Brinkman                  Corpus Christi, Texas

Also make very sure that the heat sink ledge is oriented correctly. If the heat sink is
turned around then it may not be making contact with the cpu core and overheating is very fast.
It can be put on incorrectly.
HTH,  Dennis M.