From: "Ronald J. Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mandrake Newbie List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 2:11 AM
Subject: [newbie] Zip drive/hdc=ide-scsi ramblings...(long post)

Just thought I'd post this in case it helps anyone else who has had zip
drive
difficulties at one time or the other.

 When I installed v8.2 of Mandrake, I got a Zip drive icon on my KDE desktop
that would not work. Clicking it gave the usual (and now well-read, at least
on this list) error messages - doesn't exist, mounted too many times,
superblock, blah, blah, blah. So I deleted that icon, edited my /etc/fstab
file to show this:

/dev/hdc4 /mnt/zip vfat nosuid,user,noauto,nodev 0 0

where hdc is the info suppled by dmesg. I then created a new zip icon by
right-clicking on my desktop, new floppy device, changed the mounted and
unmounted icons, and pointed it to /dev/hdc4. I also edited /etc/lilo.conf
disable devfs.

All works well - I can mount, unmount and eject the drive from the drop down
menu.

Seems like the end of the story doesn't it? Welllll....I thought it was,
until I was backing up everything on my system yesterday. I use my zip cart
for a "catch all" for files that I grab. Every so often, I burn a CD of the
zip cart, rm all the files there, and start over. (hey, data is
*everything*).
I started to do that this time, using Gcombust, but guess what happened?
Fifo
dropped to 1% in about 3-5 seconds and I got a nicy, shiny beer coaster.
(not
that I can't use another one but...). So what gives? I've pointed Gcombust
the /mnt/zip dir. many times in the past and burnt it in one go. I'd used
Gcombust all day to back up files from my hard drive, so it wasn't that. I
looked over the error messages from the output window and it got me to
thinking. When I edited /etc/lilo.conf, I removed "hdc=ide-scsi" from it.
After all, my Zip is an IDE device at hdc. What the heck, I put
"hdc=ide-sci"
back into /etc/lilo.conf and did /sbin/lilo. I did a mount -a as su, and I'm
back to where I was originially - I can't access my Zip drive again. So I'm
thinking (yeah, it happens) - if Mandrake's install is treating this device
like its SCSI, then I should too. I started Galeon, and google-ized (is that
a verb?) linux zip drive howto. What I was looking for and found, was info
on
how to setup an external drive, treated as SCSI. From that, I gleaned that
the device I needed to enter into /etc/fstab was this:

/dev/sda4 /mnt/zip vfat nosuid,user,noauto,nodev 0 0

sda4. Yep, reran everything, pointed my KDE Zip desktop icon to it, and
voila! I can access it again. For final proof, I and add /mnt/zip into
Gcombust and it burns it flawlessly. Problem solved.

Hope this helps anyone who has a Zip drive - and sorry for rambling so
much.... :-)

--
                                                                          /\
                                                                  Dark<