I'm having a couple of problems that I believe are permissions related.

During my ML 8.2 install, Apache was also installed with all the defaults.
I want to operate the server on a private IP address so I modified the NAT
in my router to send all traffic on port 80 to the private IP.  When I
connect to the public IP on port 80, bingo I see the default web page for
the Apache server on my domain.  Hey, I'm on a roll!

So now I want to setup a test web page to get virtual domains working.  I
have an extra domain lying around so I change my DNS servers to point that
domain to the linux box.  On the linux box I setup a dummy page to say
something stupid like "Hello World".  In the /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file
I added the following lines:

NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.103

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.103>
ServerName domainname.com
DocumentRoot /var/www/domainname.com
ServerAlias linuxserver
</VirtualHost>

domainname.com is the actual domain name in the real file and linuxserver is
the name of the linux box.  After that file was changed, I stopped Apache
and restarted it using webmin.  I would like to tell you that I'm smart and
I figured those lines out all by myself but I didn't; I copied them from one
of the tutorials I have been reading (smile).  Under the
/var/www/domainname.com directory In /var/www/domainname.com/conf I created
a file named httpd.conf where I put the following lines:

User apache
Group apache
ServerName domainname.com
DocumentRoot /var/www/domainname.com/htdocs

When I try to go to this webpage I get the following error:

Forbidden

----

Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.23 Server at www.domainname.com Port 80

Now if I was a gambling man (and I may now be since my state passed a
lottery yesterday), I would guess that the OS doesn't want to give Apache
access to the root folder.  Have I done this correctly?  And what should I
do to get Apache to server up this page?

The second problem I'm having is with editors.  When I wanted to edit the
httpd.conf file I had to execute shell, su, copy the file to my home
directory, open Kate, edit the file and save it, go back to shell, and copy
the file back to the correct place.  I have read the warnings about not
logging on as root and I am trying to abide by those warnings but I get the
feeling that I'm not doing something right.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance ...

Carter