You want the Linux Network Administrators Guide. It's available as a PDF
or HTML on the web or in print by O'Reilly. We cannot do the entire
subject justice in an email. Check out The Linux Documentation Project
(www.tldp.org)

However I got online by following the Mandrake wizard, for a standalone
system.

You need to get the following information, from your ISP or your
previous OS.
  The ISP's access telephone number
  username
  password
  your fully qualified domain name*
  If you should use PPP or SLIP (PPP appears to be preferable)
  If you should enable header compression
  If you should use DHCP
  If not then your IP adddress, the IP address of at least one DNS name
server, and the name or IP address of the default gateway.
If you ask questions like this then they will help you. It's just that
they don't want to get into Linux.

*For example: my FQDN from my ISP is "soronlin.demon.co.uk" As a
standalone configuration it would be reasonable to make the domain name
"demon.co.uk" and the host name "soronlin" However if you have a house
LAN then this wont work. It's a good idea to make (in my case)
"soronlin.demon.co.uk" the domain name of the house, and to add a
hostname onto it. So my machine might be "snoopy.soronlin.demon.co.uk"
This allows routing to be handled correctly, otherwise I couldn't
communicate with "anotheruser.demon.co.uk"

I am assuming that this is a dial-up link. If you have a cable router
then things get simpler, but you still need the IP addresses of
nameservers, and you need to remember/find out the address of the router
to set as the default gateway.

Setting up a server for the house is much more complex. I find that the
firewall configuration wizard does not work for me, and I am currently
blaming the fact that I have an ethernet NIC and a dialup link, which
you may also have. Sharing the modem to the other machines is a whole
new can of worms called IP Masquerading: read the N.A.G.

In short, you can use the wizard to get online, but read the NAG to make
it a server.

I hope this helps, good luck!

--
Richard Urwin, Private
"No 9000 series computer has ever made a mitsake or corrubiteddatatato."