Hi all

Recently started with mdk 9.0 on a stand-alone home desktop. Had to obtain a
driver courtesy of the good people at MBSI to work my winmodem. The
documentation says this enables access to the modem as ttySHCF0. Kppp was
using /dev/modem as a symlink to ttyS0, so I changed that to ttySHCF0, and
everything worked fine.

Except that after I restart X (been installing fonts) by init 1 then init 5 as
root, kppp simply says 'sorry the modem doesn't respond', which was what it
said before the driver was loaded and before /dev/modem was pointed to the
right place. /dev/modem still points to ttySHCF0. Rebooting fixes the
problem, but is inelegantly reminiscent of the reasons I've come to Linux in
the first place.

Can anyone explain this admittedly minor irritation and advise how to correct
it?

Thanks
Richard