Jeanie;

Who's fab?
I'm new to linux, but not to what you're trying to do. My experience is
Solaris and most things translate. I just don't know the particulars.

In Solaris, you could configure the workstation to act as an Xterm; running
everything from a remote Xserver. If I understand correctly, this would be
the same as spending the $6k in your post. By the way, this doesn't address
the paranoia about the operators. If you're working for a semiconductor
house, you probably have plenty of old sparcs that I know can be used as
Xterms.

Most Window managers allow you to define the menus on a per account basis.
Create an account with only the production apps and logoff (no shells)
defined.

If you can't use a login manager, Solaris had something called a restricted
shell. If linux has it, you can use that to make sure they get to your
limited X setup.

Hope I've helped
Gary