On Friday 15 November 2002 08:56 pm, you wrote:

> Perhaps someone can look at what I've done and give some pointers? At this
> point I'm lost. I had none of these problems with 8.x and back........aside
> from no sound........
>

> AMD Athlon 800 (Slot A)
> 512 Megs of Ram
> Primary HD, Quantum 40 GIG, C,E,F,G
> Secondary HD, Maxtor 80 GIG, D,H,I,J
> Nvidia based Riva TNT2 video with 32 megs.
> LiteON 48x CD Reader
> LiteON 32x Writer
> Happague WinTV card
> LinkSys 10/100 NIC
> Sound Blaster Live Value OEM card......

One thing you might try:   In your /etc/lilo.conf append line add

mem=nopentium     and then rerun lilo

One of my machines is very similar to yours--Athlon,Maxtor,TNT2,LiteOn
writer,Linksys 10/100, SB live value.  NOT a Gateway though (I do have a
Gateway laptop).

I haven't had a problem with the Live sound since 8.1, at least, and never a
problem with the other stuff.  One thing I might be concerned about is maybe
one of your sticks of Ram is marginal--bad ram can cause mystery lockups.  In
fact, any piece of hardware that isn't functioning properly can do so, but
Ram is the second place I would look if the change to the append line doesn't
have any effect.  But first, check that you don't have an interrupt
conflict--video,TV card,nic and sound looks like an invitation to interrupt
problems--that's a lot of hardware crammed into one box.  If it is an
interrupt conflict, Gateway's crummy bios probably won't help much.  You
might try moving the cards around in their slots, because interrupts are
often assigned/shared by slot.  I've found that some things will work with
shared interrupts, and some won't.   My experience has been that nics don't
share well with anything else, sound and vid will often work.