On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 02:09, L.V.Gandhi wrote:

> PC2 IP address 192.168.1.1
> PC1 IP address 192.168.1.2
> PC3 IP address 192.168.1.3
> PC4 IP address 192.168.1.4
>
> network address is 192.168.1.0
> netmask 255.255.255.249

Hi there,

I suggest you visit the archives (if you don't keep your mail) and
re-read the following message (and replies) contained in a thread you
started here earlier this month:

http://www.mandrake.com/en/archives/newbie/2002-11/msg00724.php

Now, if the netmask you quoted above is merely a typo, kindly disregard
this post :)

Otherwise, please understand that what you are trying to do with your
netmask (which should be 248 in any case) is totally unnecessary in your
situation and you should stick to a classful mask (255.255.255.0) if you
don't have a thorough understanding of IP addressing.

If you insist on subnetting your network, please understand that the
tightest mask that you can use on a 'C' class network requiring 4 host
addresses is 248.

I'll leave it to you to explain to me, why that is the case. If you
don't know, do a little reading on TCP/IP and then try to explain your
error. You won't believe how much it will help cement your understanding
of the subject :)

Sorry if I sound like a school teacher, but you really need to be solid
in the fundamentals to understand networking when it becomes a little
more complex.

Kind regards,

John...