On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 07:41, Jim Snyder wrote:
> Hi
>
> I recently loaded mandrake 9.0 and am thrilled with it overall. I have had
> some problems with a HP CD-writer that I finally unplugged as I have another
> USB HP CD-RW that works fine. I am suspecting a problem from doing this.
>
> When Linux boots, it pauses for a few minutes finding module dependencies and
> then proceeds to boot up quickly after that. Is there any particular reason
> for this? I have a network card installed but have no other computers
> connected currently. Could that be causing this also?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> ----

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

It sounds like it is waiting for something to time out before it can
proceed.  Is there still a reference to the old CD-writer in you
/etc/fstab?  What about, after disconnecting the drive (both power AND
data cable, right?), did you remove it from the CMOS settings if it was
originally manually set (versus auto-detect)?  I had a problem with a
failed floppy disk (actually, the cable was loose).  The boot process
would hang while trying to access the device.  I replaced the cable and
all was well.

It could also be your network card.  Unless you told Mandrake otherwise,
during the install, I believe it tries to look for a dhcp and dns
server.  If you aren't using the network card at this time, you can
always tell it to not load at startup and see if that improves the boot
time.

Joeb