If you were able to get into KDE, the best way to update is to click on
the star icon labelled "update" and select all the packages listed there
that say something like "kernel".  The first time you run update, it will
ask you to select a mirror for further updates.

Oh, shoot, make sure you're connected to the internet first.

Does that work?

Later,
 David

"Without the Law, there is no Liberty.  Without Justice, there is no Law."