>If I make alterations to fstab, do I need to reboot, or can I cause it to
>be read some other way?

Depends on the alterations.

Usually logging all users out and as root doing a "mount -a" will suffice.

Found this in man mount:

(i) The command
              mount -a [-t type] [-O optlist]
       (usually  given  in  a bootscript) causes all file systems
       mentioned in fstab (of the proper type  and/or  having  or
       not having the proper options) to be mounted as indicated,
       except for those whose line contains the  noauto  keyword.

Paul
--
Every man in the world is better than someone else.
And not as good as someone else.

http://nlpagan.net    -    Linux Mandrake 8.2     -   Sylpheed 0.8.6
Help Microsoft combat software piracy: give Linux to a friend today!