I would welcome any help on these two points:

I have got KDE up and running using latest XFree86 version.  I get a
'virtual' desktop where my screen acts as a scrolling window onto the
desktop.

This is REALLY ANNOYING! (pls excuse the shouting), how can I configure the
desktop to fit inside the monitor?

While I'm here, the other annoying behaviour linked to the scrolling desktop
is then when you scroll all the way to the top/bottom/left/right, if you
don't stop quickly enough, the scroll continues and the next virtual kde
desktop is displayed.  Is it possible to disable this feature also?

TIA
Mark