On Saturday 23 Nov 2002 6:27 pm, Joan Tur wrote:

> Hallo!
>
> I'd like to let other computers running windows to print through my samba
> shared printer, and I'm using MDK9's firewall (shorewall)... should I let
> any specific port open for them to be able to do so??  8-?
>
> TIA
> - --
>   Joan Tur. Eivissa-Spain

Yes  by default shorewall will block services originating on the computer
running the firewall from both the Internet AND the local network. So you
have to open up ports137, 138, and 139 to the local network.

It is easy to configure just edit the file /etc/shorewall/rules

The bottom few lines contain which services are allowed to go between

fw - The Firewall (think of it as the centre of your computer)
net- The Internet interface
masq- An Internet connection sharing interface to the local network
loc - a Local Interface without masquerading

There are separate lines for udp and tcp protocols.

mine contains this :-
ACCEPT  net     fw      tcp     80,25   -
ACCEPT  masq    fw      tcp
53,80,443,25,8118,ssh,domain,bootps,http,https,137,138,139,631,imap,pop3,smtp,nntp,ntp,10000

-
ACCEPT  masq    fw      udp
53,ssh,domain,bootps,http,https,137,138,139,631,imap,pop3,smtp,nntp,ntp,10000
-
ACCEPT  fw      masq    tcp     ssh,631,137,138,139     -
ACCEPT  fw      masq    udp     ssh,631,137,138,139     -

So Samba is allowed to operate between my masqueraded network and the
firewall, and from the firewall and the masqueraded network, but not  in from
the Internet.

After editing the file restart shorewall with

service shorewall restart

HTH

derek