On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 10:04, Gordon Bradbury wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> I've just got a new P4 box at home, and successfully loaded xp and mandrake 9 onto
>it. I'm a long-time windows user, but this is my first exposure to linux/mandrake.
>
> The Mandrake install sets the lilo boot configuration up with Mandrake as the
>default OS. Fair enough! But I want to set xp as the default OS as my partner and
>kids will be using xp most of the time while I play around with linux.
>
> How do I change the boot priority? I understand about the lilo.conf file and that I
>have to move the windows boot data to the top of the list, but how do I do this?
>Bootdrake allows me to edit the data in each boot "element" but it doesn't allow me
>to change the default OS.
>
> I've tried to open the lilo.conf file in an editor so I can cut and paste but can't
>get that to work either. Hmmmm? Newbie frustration!!
>
> Anyone offer some help on this please?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gordon
> Hobart
> Tasmania.
>
> This transmission is intended solely for the person or organisation to whom it is
>addressed.
> It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.
> If you have received this transmission in error, you may not use, copy or distribute
>it.
> Please advise us by return e-mail or by phoning 61 3 62338203
> and immediately delete the transmission in its entirety.
> We will meet your reasonable expenses of notifying us.
> Despite our use of anti-virus software, Forestry Tasmania cannot guarantee
> that this transmission is virus-free.

Even though you're from Tassie, I'll give you an answer.
1.) Open KEdit and open /etc/lilo.conf
2.) Locate the part that says "default=" and you can change it from
there. The "label", as you look through the lilo.conf, is the name which
you will supplant instead of linux.
3.) Save the file, open up a terminal window and type lilo at the
prompt.

Reboot, and enjoy your newly found expertise!

Cheers and beers!

--
Mon Nov 25 10:40:00 EST 2002
   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

If you are going to walk on thin ice, you may as well dance.