i've used the rpm source files (glx and kernel) and do the rpm --rebuld method, follow the readme.  works great

Todd

Carl J. Bauman wrote:
I don't know if this will help but it's all I got;  an excerpt from the FAQ section of the README file that comes with the NVidia driver for Linux:

#**********   Begin excerpt  ***********

Q: My X server fails to start, and my XFree86 log file contains the error:

  "(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!"

A: Nothing will work if the NVdriver kernel module doesn't function
  properly.  If you see anything in the X log file like "(EE) NVIDIA(0):
  Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!" then there is
  most likely a problem with the NVdriver kernel module.  First, you
  should verify that if you installed from rpm that the rpm was built
  specifically for the kernel you are using.  You should also check
  that the module is loaded ('/sbin/lsmod'); if it is not loaded try
  X server before installing a new kernel module).  If you receive errors
  about unresolved symbols, then the kernel module has most likely been
  built using header files for a different kernel revision than what
  you are running.  You can explicitly control what kernel header files
  are used by building NVdriver from the NVIDIA_kernel tar file with:
  'make install SYSINCLUDE=/path/to/kernel/headers'.

  Please note that the convention for the location of kernel
  header files is in a state of transition, as is the location
  of kernel modules.  If the kernel module fails to load properly,
  modprobe/insmod may be trying to load an older kernel module (assuming
  you've upgraded).  cd'ing into the directory with the new kernel
  module and doing 'insmod ./NVdriver' may help.

  Finally, the NVdriver may print error messages indicating a problem --
  to view these messages please check /var/log/messages, or wherever
  syslog is directed to place kernel messages."

You may have already tried all these things but I thought I'd pass it on to you.  I've been running the NVidia drivers with my GeForce3 for awhile now and, as I recall, I compiled the 3123 version from source  (following the instructions that were in the README file that came with the tar.gz) with no problems.  I hope something in here helps

Good Luck,
Carl