> Donny wrote:
>
> Hey all. Im running a small home network, and I have two questions
> hopefully someone could help me with. I have an NT server set up wit
> DHCP. How do I get linux onto the network? I think i have everything
> set up right, just I dont know how to use samba. Is there anyway to
> configure it using X?

I can't help with the Samba problem, I'm still trying to work it out on
my system.

> Also, i was able to surf the net using netscape, by entering the IP of
> my NT server as a proxy. But I cant check my mail or anything because
> it cant find its connection the the net. On the NT machine im running
> WinGate, which sets up a proxy for SOCKS. I dont have any trouble with
> WIN98 or 2000.

My system also uses Wingate on an NT (Win 2000 workstation) server.
Wingate will only allow use of port 80 in and out from what I
understand, so all of your proxies need to be set to use 192.168.0.1
port 80 so set them in Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Proxy. I have not been
able to get FTP to work using the MandrakeUpdate program, or anything
other than Netscape Navigator despite numerous tries and emailed queries
to Wingate support.

> Well, im a real newbie at networking, and linux (as u can probably
> tell), so thanks in advance to anyone that could help me out. Thanks!

By the way lose the HTML email its just a waste of bandwidth and not
particularly appreciated on this list.
--
James Mellema, CRNA MA
The idea that an arbitrary naive human should be able to properly use a