Title: Message
I'm starting to think this is a bug in Intel's chipset design.  Mandrake refuses to recognize the IDE controllers are located on IRQs 14/15... then it complains on every boot:

PCI Resouce collisions 00:1F  (I'll post a complete dmesg if anyone is interested).

Alan Cox claims to have fixed this in the stock kernel with his patch tree, but I'm still too newbie to get a compiled kernel to boot.  It crashes after every boot.

What gets me thinking is... on these motherboards, Intel ships the "Intel Application Accelerator" which is basically nothing more than a package of UDMA drivers for the onboard IDE controllers.  It's starting to feel like they're compensating for something...

--Alexander