From: "A. A." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] Installation freeze after detecting IDE hard drive & CDROM
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 16:20:14 +0300

I'm trying to install Mandrake Linux 9.0 on a Toshiba Tecra 9000, and
I'm running into very early trouble... I've downloaded all three CD's
from Mandrake's mirrors, and successfully used them to install Linux
on a different desktop machine. But I can't seem to figure out the
problem for getting it installed on the Toshiba laptop (Tecra).

Regardless of whether I try CDROM-based installation or floppy based
installation (and I've tried cdrom.img and hd.img on the floppy), they
all fail at exactly the same point, and here is the snippet right
before the system freezes without any further activity (I'm typing it
in from my notes):

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
ICH3M: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev f9
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:1f.1
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:1d.2
ICH3M: chipset revision 1
ICH3M: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xcfa0-0xcfa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xcfa8-0xcfaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio

And then nothing more...

I've tried utilizing different installation "strings" but all to no
avail, one of those strings is as follows:
expert hdc=cdrom ide0=noautotune ide1=noautotune ide2=noautotune ide3=noautotune
I've been struggling with this for almost a day now, so if you have
any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. I'm trying to convince my
department to use Linux, and this would look really bad if I can't get
this machine running...*sigh*

Hardware specs:
Machine: Toshiba Tecra 9000
Hard Drive: IC25N020ATCS04-0 on primary channel as master
DVD/CD-ROM drive: Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2502 on secondary as master
IDE ATA/ATAPI controller: Intel 82801CAM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 248A

By the way, the laptop already boots up fine under Windows 2000 Professional.

TIA