----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Saturday 30 November 2002 09:02 pm, Idea.list2BT wrote:
> Can someone tell me why, with LM-8.2 we simply had to load the
> USB-Speedtouch file mgmt.o into usr/share/speedtouch/mgmt.o and then Linux
> detected it but with LM-9 it doesn't?
>
> I was even more disappointed to find that I might have to do
god-knows-what
> to the kernel and recompile it to get Speedtouch recognised by LM-9.
>
> Have Mandrake not put the same facilities in LM-9 as they had in 8.2?
>
> Mandrake detects all my other peripherals but not this bloody modem.

> Thanks
> Dave
>

> ---
Mandrake has packages on CD1, look for speedtouch, it is the usb ALCETEL
modem
and you should have the driver and a management package to install.  No
kernel recompile needed I don't think. HTH
--
Dennis M.  linux user # 180842

Thanks Dennis
Installed the packages you mentioned but modem stil not recognised.
The docs that accompanied the packages are a bit ambiguous regarding patches
to kernal in order to allow the drivers to work.  Will do some more research
via google.
Still can't see why Mandrake had it working with 8.2 by simply installing
mgmt.o and 9.0 now has a problem.
Thanks for pointing me in right direction though. Will let you know how I
get on - in five years' time.

Dave

---