o.k....when you test and the screen goes black...it obviously isn't a
good setting....  you might try either a lower setting....or if you are
in a window that offers choices of Hz...you might try to find the
correct setting for your CRT and card.  Does the install offer you a
default setting, such as 800 X 600?  It's been a while and I don't
remember for sure, but I think that I was able to set up the higher res
screen on a Purple DV iMac, but was only able to set up 800 X 600 on a
Strawberry iMac.  Apple not only changes components with new models
(sometimes), but also have been known to change in the middle of a model
run.

I don't have either iMac handy right now, so I can't check it out for a
ctl+alt+delete, although that combination usually works on a PC.
Another combination that works on a PC is ctl+alt+F2 to get a new
console window which should allow you to log in and fix problems you may
have accidentally created.

That said...even if it works on an iMac, I don't believe it is an option
during the OS install....only after you have it up and running.

--
Erik

Linux User 288105 @ http://counter.li.org

Bill who?  ...  Micro what?