On Monday December 2 2002 09:21 am, Joe Braddock wrote:

> I'm not sure about from official Mandrake RPMs, but you get use
> Texstar's.  Go to www.pclinuxonline.com and on the left side of the
> page should be some links to Texstar's rpms.  They work great (you
> might get an error about an invalid signature when trying to install
> them, you can ignore the error message - Texstar's stuff is valid).
>
> Joeb

   Texstar works hard to provide working 'updates' to 9.0 and 8.x. For
that he should be applauded as he often is.  If'n I was still usin 9.0,
I'd probly prefer his rpms over what you'll find on Mandrake
/unsupported/ mirrors. I'm usin cooker with kde 3.0.99, so I haven't
tried Tex's stuff. I'm basing this opinion on past and current
experiences with all his rpms. ('Sides, he's a fellow Texan ;)

   BUT, y'all, realize that as soon as you 'upgrade' a release version
of Mandrake, whether with proprietary drivers/applications, or newer
'updates' (other than those released by Mandrake) ... you're on your
own, no longer can or will you be supported. I'm tickled sometimes by
the perception that beta (which is what 3.0.5 is) software should be
avoided, but tainting the system with proprietary closed source apps
and drivers is 'A Good Thing (tm)'.

   In any event, the release of KDE 3.1 final is eminent and will soon
be out, 3.2 development has already begun. IME, there's a big jump
between 3.0.5 and the RC candidates. So wait just a bit more.  IMO,
y'all would be better off runnin full current cooker 9.1, than doctorin
9.0 and 8.x with 'updates' and proprietary junk.