On Monday 02 December 2002 02:55 pm, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 20:34, kjc wrote:

> > > Take the default settings until you get the latest nVidia drivers -
> > > after you've got X up and running, get the drivers, install 'em, then
> > > you can change yer resolutions to suit your tastes.
> >
> > Do you have a URL.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com
>
> ...you'll be able to locate the drivers for linux - the source driver -
> which needs to be compiled against your kernel...
>
> ...now, someone had mentioned that there were RPM's for NVIDIA somewhere
> like on ClubMandrake or the likes - but not wanting to pay $60USD per
> year, I couldn't get on to check 'em out...hence, I got the source
> driver and compiled it for my particular kernel...

My first suggestion to the MDK development people.
The X Configuration Wizard needs work.
You should at least be able to set the HZ refresh rate that is legal for your
particular monitor. If a given value can't  be set. It should then report
that fact. After which a user can select an alternate refresh rate.
Then, the whole process begins again. Also, why not provide the newest
XDriver on the install. At least for the most popular video chipsets such as
ATI and NVIDIA. Come to think about it. These two are pretty much all that
are left for new video cards coming out. This is desirable over building a
drive after install.
You are after all. Attempting to make the Desktop very polished. And... It is.
I'm very impressed at what I see thus far. However if you're interested in
being numero uno on the desktop. This X stuff needs to be cleaned up.
I'm sure one of the developer guys can get this done. Anyways. Keep up the
good work.