On 04 December 2002 10:33 Anne Wilson said:

> Supplementary question:  I have /home set as a separate
> partition and all the
> rest in one.  I did this because it seemed to me that this
> would be a more
> 'elastic' way, in the sense that I didn't know sensible sizes
> for other
> partitions, and I figured that just doing them as directories
> instead of
> partitions would allow them to self-adjust.  Was I right?

Yes

> Are there any
> serious problems with this strategy?

No.
That is, you don't gain in efficiency and you lose in flexibility by
partitioning. There might be a small gain you can make by mounting the
invarient parts read-only, but I've never heard of it being done.

On a fragmented disk a partitioned system would have less widely
seperated fragments, but would be more likely to fragment in the first
place.

A related question: On a two disk system what is the best arrangement? I
would guess / on the first disk, and /var and /home on the second.

--
Richard Urwin, Private
Confirmed as a crazy system administrator (NAG p348)