On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 16:10:34 -0800
"Marty McFly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey all, another question.  The things in /dev/sound (files or what?) are
> all owned by my user, and part of the "audio" group.  I can use sound when I
> log in, but when someone else logs in, for example to KDE, they can't use
> the sound stuff, because, I guess, I own it.
>
> Not sure why I own it.  Who should the owner be?  And how can everyone have
> access to the sound system?
>
> Here's the output of an ls command.  PS, what does c mean in the first
> column?

Character device.

>From file:/usr/share/doc/mandrake/en/Command-Line.html/ch09s02.html#id2887002

The Different File Types

If you remember well, when you do ls -l, the character before the access rights
identifies the type of a file. We already saw two types of files: regular files (-)
and directories (d). You can also stumble upon these other types if you wander through
the file tree and list contents of directories:

 Character mode files: these files are either special system files (such as /dev/null,
which we already discussed), or peripherals (serial or parallel ports), which share
the particularity that their contents (if they have any) are not buffered (meaning
they are not kept in memory). Such files are identified by the letter c.

 Block mode files: these files are peripherals, and as opposed to character files,
their contents are buffered. Files entering this category are, for example, hard
disks, partitions on a hard disk, floppy drives, CD-ROM drives and so on. Files
/dev/hda, /dev/sda5 are example of block mode files. On a ls -l output, these are
identified by the letter b.

> [bryant@neutrino sound]$ ls -l
> total 0
> crw-------    1 bryant   audio     14,   4 Dec 31  1969 audio