On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 15:28, Jerry wrote:

> OK, I did that and yes, it did what you said it would do.  It changed my login from
>graphical to console which is fine.  Now, please bear with me.  I'm used to all the
>graphical interfaces though i still do a LOT in console.  However I'm still a
>beginner, especially with startind Xwindows from a console login.  Here's what I
>tried.
>
> logged in as a normal user (jerry)
> ran startx
>
> Xwindows started with a blank desktop (which i suppose is exactly what it's supposed
>to do) but did not start gnome so I...
>
> hit ctrl-alt-backspace which stopped Xwindows
> I thought "Cool!  that's what I've been looking for!"
> then I did su to root
> ran gdm to start gnome
> xwindows started and the gnome login came up.
> logged in.
> gnome started.
> tested out to see if ctrl-alt-backspace would stop xwindows like it did the first
>time.
> instead of stopping xwindows totally, it restarted gdm and I'm stuck back at the
>same place I was before.  I know there's got to be a way to do this.  I don't have a
>problem writing a shell script with the commands to do it the way i want, but i don't
>know which commands to use.  I imagine it has to do with starting Gnome withOUT
>starting gdm, am I right?  Thanks so much for your help on this :)  You're very kind.
>
> Jerry.

You don't need to run GDM, XDM or KDM at all - not from a console. If
you want to easily switch between desktops, you can install the rpm for
Xtart (on the third CD) or download SelectWM (which is nice,
too)....Xtart will allow you to run whichever WM/Desktop you wish...FROM
the console...instead of doing all the GDM crap. Now, you can do a:

ps -Ae | grep gdm

then note the number on the far left - then run

kill XXXXX (the number you noted on the left)...Exit Gnome
NORMALLY...and you should be back to a prompt...

...but overall, install the Xtart - it will make you happier...

--
Sat Dec  7 19:40:01 EST 2002
  7:40pm  up  6:56,  5 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.27, 0.23
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

This door is baroquen, please wiggle Handel.
(If I wiggle Handel, will it wiggle Bach?)
                -- Found on a door in the MSU music building