On Sunday 08 Dec 2002 6:50 am, magnet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Right, just been here with this problem. Set a specific IP addy as you had
> for the PC and use netmask 255.255.255.0
> Disable the WINS Configuration.
> Add gateway to point to your linux box.
> Here is the part I had to change for some reason. Enable DNS Configuration.
> My linux hostname is linux1.local.net. For host add the first part of your
> machines hostname [linux1] then add the last part as the domain
> [local.net]. Add your gateway 192.168.0.1 into the DNS Server Search Order.
> Add your last part of your domain [local.net] into the DNS Suffix Search
> Order.
>
> This got my winME laptop to connect using the linux gateway and it has no
> effect on samba here, and retains your choice of static IP addresses you
> use.
>
> Hope this can help you.
>
> regards
> magnet

My grandchildren's two '98 machines used to connect through my 8.2 setup
without problems (all is different now, both version and connection, but
still OK).  Our setup was as far as I can see just what magnet describes.
Come back if you still have problems.  It's certainly workable.  I'm going to
be away for a few days, but if the problem's still there I'll check it out
next weekend.

Anne