John, it's actually quite simple to reduce red eys with gimp. Took me a
while to work it out too... but eventually I found a page explaining how
to do it.

Firstly, open the photo in Gimp.

Make sure you have the "Layers" screen open. On the "Layers" screen, you
will see "Channels" tab. Click that tab, and you will see 3 highlighted
things (Red, Green and Blue). Click both the Green and Blue over the
picture (not on the eye_looking_icon on the left), so that only the Red
is selected.

Great, now go to your picture with the red-eyes (probably from a
hangover hehehe) and with the airbrush and the colour black, spray over
the red eyes. There, now you don't have to use shareware to fix
hangovers!

Oh, and for future reference, ask people to close their eyes when you
take a pic... it'll save you a lot of work :-)

Greetings
Ralph
--
Homepage: http://tuxpower.f2g.net/