> Is it a problem with xft or with openoffice? I think I would prefer to
> wait for an xft update, rather than go through a rollback dependency
> hassle..?
>
> regards,
>
> Huub

it's an XFT problem.
(it's not that the fonts and menus in OO have dissapeared.
It's just that it can't render anything in font size 8 or smaller,
and the GUI elements use font size 8)

if you do not want to change your XFT package, try this,
it might work for you:

Open up oowrite.

go to the sixth drop-down menu in the main toolbar.
(that's counting from left to right)

 select the last option in that menu.

A dialog window will pop up.

 expand the first tree.

go to the 9th branch of that tree.

 you will see two drop-down lists. just type
 "lucida" on the second.

 push the first button at the bottom of the dialogue.

 if that doesn't work, repeat the same steps but this time
 type "lucida" on both the drop-down lists. You may also
want to try to select the first line in the listbox that appears
under the drop-downs.

 HTH

 Damian