On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 09:17, Dennis Myers wrote:
> A friend gave me one of those cases that you can put a spare hard drive in and
> it uses a parallel port connection. It is generic and has no FCC # on it, but
> the box says it works for hard drives. Anyone have any idea how to access it
> to format and read/write to it? It runs on a seperate power supply and shows
> up in hard drake as an SBLive joystick. ( I think). Is this thing useless or
> what? Any help is appreciated.

If you don't have the parallel IDE support in the kernel (i.e. module)
you're not going to be able to access it properly. Check if you've got
that module (lsmod to view loaded modules) and see what's listed as
"parport" (parallel port). If you DON'T see any modules for the parport,
you might try loading 'em (insmod parport_pc, insmod parport) and trying
again...

--
Wed Dec 11 16:00:00 EST 2002
  4:00pm  up  8:22,  5 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.27, 0.36

   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
--------------------------------
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

The river Ankh is probably the only river in the universe on which the
investigators can chalk the outline of the corpse.
(Men at Arms)