Thanks that helped
Gil

 -----Original Message-----
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]  On Behalf Of Charlie
Sent:   Wednesday, December 11, 2002 8:46 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: [newbie] Eroaster (was CDR)

 << File: message.footer >> On December 11, 2002 05:57 am, Gil Katz wrote:
> I have CDR and CDRW
> The system recognize the CDRW in /dev/scd0
> And the CDR in dev/hdc
> When I press on detect writer the Eroaster detects the CDRW but when I
> press the detect reader it detects again the CDRW.
> What to do
> Thanks gil

For the record, I won't reply to any more posts to the list that have a
To:" set after this one. It's a pain in the keister to have to remember to
change the address when one only wants to reply to the post _on the mailing
list_ in order to try to help.

Most of what I've learned regarding the uses of ISOs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs etc in
GNU/Linux came from the page at the link below or is linked from there. It's
a good place to start.

http://www.cpqlinux.com/cdrw.html

Eroaster is a front end for cdrecord. It only reads IDE devices that are
'SCSI
emulated' and you'll need to add IDE-SCSI to append the stanza in:

/etc/lilo.conf

that shows your CD-ROM.
 eg.: hdx=ide-scsi
where 'x' is the a, b, c, etc of the drive. All of the editing you want to
do
there has to be done as super user (su) or root. In your case you should add
hdc=ide-scsi for your cd-rom to the append lines. This will sometimes cause
it's own troubles too.

Once you add the phrase to the append line that's there open a terminal and
as
su (root) type:

sbin/lilo -v

then at the new prompt:

reboot -n.

You should be able to have eroaster recognise the cdrom as a read device
after
that reboot. Hopefully. If I've made any errors I'm sure one of our
list-mates will correct me.

Or just find (in any mirror's contrib directory) k3b and install and use
that
instead for copying disk to disk. This is a link to one place you can find
it:

ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.0/contrib/RPMS

and you can use the KDE package manager to install it so it'll appear on the
menus.

I'm absolutely _not_ certain if any of the above will do you any good since
it's not the method I use. If I need to copy a disk I just copy it to a hard
drive (any of the 4) and burn the copy from there. Small relatives are bad
news on any CDs that aren't backed up; even though they never seem to touch
the ones that have been copied and can't get at the originals. When I hear
"Shiny Frisbee!!!" I start looking. Quickly.

The little monsters. :-)

Regards;
--
Charlie