You can install the firewall but if you are using ppp to access the net you will have to make a change or two so the the firewall recognises that you are accessing via a modem

1. install the firewall and it will ask some configuration questions check the appropriate boxes for the services you need.

2. copy all of the files from

/usr/share/doc/shorewall-doc-1.3.7c/samples-1.3.7/one-interface

/etc/shorewall

3. edit /etc/shorewall/interfaces file and change 'eth0' at the bottom of the file to 'ppp0'

<snip>

# Example 3: You have a simple dial-in system with no ethernet
# connections and you want to ignore ping requests.
#
# net ppp0 - noping
#ZONE INTERFACE BROADCAST OPTIONS
net ppp0 - noping
#LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES BEFORE THIS ONE -- DO NOT REMOVE

<snip>

Works great for me HTH

Graham

Andrei Raevsky wrote:

Hi,

When I launch my firewall configurator in the Mandrake Control Center, I get the following message:

"make sure you have configured your Network/Internet access with drakconnet before going any further"

Well, I have not. I installed Mandrake 9 on a laptop with a modem, so I could not configure any connection during the inital installation since my laptop came with a so-called Winmodem. I had to hack it with with a Linmodem RPM to get any internet access at all. Now all works fine. I connect to my ISP with a dial-up (slow: 28) using kppp. At no stage did drakconnect ever get involved. Does this mean that I cannot install the firewall offered by Mandrake 9 or that I need at all costs to use the Mandrake connection utility rather than KDE kppp? From my (very limited) understanding of firewalls all that the Mandrake firewall does is block certain ports (such as telnet or ftp) and if this is so - why this warning message? Who cares how my connection was configured as long as the right ports are closed?

Thanks for any help with this!

Cheers,

Andrei