Congrats. IMHO. A linux desktop is much, much nice than a Win desktop.
In any event. I would spend a little extra money and buy a ASUS MB. I've had mine for a year.
And, have had zero compatability problems with ANY OS that i have tinkered with.
As far a video cards. I would stick with NVidia.

walt wrote:

I have enough of mandrake 9.0 working to the point where I can switch it to my main hard drive and just have winxp on my smaller drive and use linux almost exclusively. I do have to have some win programs and once I find comparable replacements, win xp will go completely. I do have to get a new motherboard though because this one will not let me install mandrake 9.0 without using an older kernel. I also can not use my agp vid card for some reason. It has nothing to do with linux, it is the motherboard. I have the elitegroup k7vmm and it is junk!!!  I have an AMD Duron 1.2 GHz processor. Any suggestions as to what I should get? I do not want any built in video or sound or lan LOL

walt