OK, Linus.  Now I need some pointers.  I'm used to Lotus WordPro, which
recognises an envelope as a separate section, changing the orientation for
that section only.

In OOo I found that creating an envelope put the envelope as page 1 of the
document.  Can that page be re-oriented without affecting the body of the
letter?  My problem is that everything is, quite reasonably, I suppose, done
to make change from MSOffice easy, but if you didn't use that anyway it can
be a struggle to find how to achieve things.  Any help you can give would be
greatly appreciated.

I do find that if I do something that upsets OOo it goes into this spontaneous
re-boot, often corrupting the file as well.  I had to re-type a long one
yesterday because of that.

Anne