On Monday 16 Dec 2002 6:46 pm, Peter Dunmow wrote:
> greetings all. I'm a real newbie to Linux, just over a week.
> Running Mandrake 9.0  downloaded the 3 iso's.
> I can see the shared folders on my XP machine(mounted on the KDE desktop)
> but cant see the files in said folders.

Hi Peter - not a bad score for the first week :)

> The XP is using NTFS, does this cause a problem?

'Fraid so.  ntfs can be read by linux, and write capability is being
developed, but still risky.  I wouldn't use it.

> I  would like full read/write access to all files on my XP machine.

The solution most of us use in this situation is to have w2k or xp on a small
partition, which can be ntfs, because you never need access to the os files,
then have a larger partition on which you can share data.  If that is fat32
you will be able to read and write equally from xp and linux.

> Also(dont kill me for asking) anyone know how to do the reverse? (read the
> files on the Linux box from XP PRO)

Samba does this job.  It is the negotiating layer that allows windows to talk
to linux and vice versa.  You may need help to get it going, but it just
needs a little patience.

I would say, get those partitions sorted first.  Your windows box won't
suffer, and it will make your life so much easier and safer.  Then come back
if you want help with samba.

Anne