On Sunday 22 December 2002 06:04 pm, Charlie wrote:
> On December 22, 2002 03:54 pm, FemmeFatale wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Heh Cool!  explain this procedure for me pls?  Thx Charlie :)
> > -------------
> > FemmeFatale
>
> Weeeeelllllllllll, OK. ;-)
>
> Open "File Manager super user mode." {There are other ways, but if I
> remember correctly you're most comfie in the GUI? If not sorry all to He
> double hockey sticks.}
>
> Thusly:
>
> K menu
> applications
> file tools
> File Manager - Super user mode
> give root password when asked.
>
> Navigate to the drive/partition holding your music files directory. Don't
> go in! Ctrl +N for a new window and size both so that you can see them.
> Navigate the second window to your /home/username directory. Point to the
> music directory and _hold_ the left mouse button dragging it to an open
> area in the window showing your /home directory. Release, choose "link
> here." Close the orignal window (the music files one), right click on the
> link you just made, choose properties then the permissions tab and set the
> permissions to the appropriate user and be sure to check the "apply changes
> to all sub..." box. Click OK (or is it apply then OK?) then close the
> window. Logout and back in and you should be good to go.

Just as a hint here, if using Konqueror for file browser you can click on
Window" in the upper tool bar and then split the window and click on empty
space in one of the windows to make it active. Then navigate to the folder
you want to transfer from and find your package, drag and drop to the first
window which is still open and it will copy, move etc for you so you don't
have to try to get two windows on one screen. Not clear maybe, but you will
see what I mean once you try it. If you didn't know about this feature
already.

> The logout/login may not be necessary but probably couldn't hurt. I'm doing
> this from memory Heather so if it causes trouble I may have missed
> something. If so holler and we'll figure it out, OK?
>
> You could also probably just set the proper permissions on the
> drive/partition that has the music files and have XMMS access them directly
> but maybe not. That's how mine is set anyhoo. I have no trouble listening
> to music with XMMS.
>
> If you need to call you should still have my phone number, yes? If not I'll
> send it again off list, just let me know. Anytime after 5:30 PM MST is
> fine.
>
> Later neighbour. :-)
>
> Regards;
HTH