I have been experimenting trying to get away from M$ OS/Application control
for sometime.

I am behind the MD game a little using MD8.1, but was able to get a boxed
MD7.2 here [SR129 = US$34] after starting to look at Linux with RH 5.2. The
8.1 came from linuxemporium.co.uk [mea culpa].

I am, however, having difficulty in doing some of the things I want to.

Basically I am looking to clone what I have under W2K at home and MacOS 9.2
in the office.

MD8.1 does everything I do on W2K and MacOS except some DTP work and
Net2Phone [important when you are thousands of miles away from family in
Riyadh]. Thought that I might be able to do this with win4lin/Win98SE but W4L
seems challenged when asked to record. Are there any ways under Linux of
doing PC2Phone?

I cope with the DTP on MD using InDesign on W4L. However, that's a cop-out!
I'd like to move to a totally MD solution outputting files to PDF so that
they are readable on the other platforms. What should I use?

Word/Excel/Powerpoint are admirably covered by OpenOffice.org both on MD8.1
and W2K and probably MacOS too.

Finally, how do I play music direct from CD with XMMS. Have only had success
reading tracks in with X-CD-Roast and then selecting them through XMMS.

Hope this doesn't have too many threads under the one cover!

Rob in Riyadh wishing you a Joyeux Noel