On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Mike Cunningham wrote:

> 1. By default KDE 1.1 was installed. How do I switch to Gnome?

Run desktopcfg

> 2. How do I switch window managers in KDE?

KDE doesn't deal well with window managers other than kwm...
desktopcfg allows you to switch window manages, too.

> 3. I used the Mandrake-supplied 'update' utility to install newer versions
> of the KDE packages but the next time I started X my desktop icons were all
> black and although I could move the mouse cursor around and bring up the KDE
> menus, any applications I tried to run just froze. Also when I tried to
> logout of X the system froze completely (or at least I couldn't find a way
> to quit). Any ideas?

As I've never seen this problem, I think the most likely cause is a broken
mirror.
Try re-downloading the KDE packages from a different mirror.

> 4. I'm assuming that the 'proper' way to update / install packages is to use
> something like KPackager

Unless you want to do it the "real" way (rpm -i , rpm -U), yes...

> 5. Assuming I get to the point of understanding how to do #4, is installing
> KDE 1.2 just going to be a matter of following the same process as for any
> other RPMs?

Yes.

> 6. I was initially tempted to try something other than SuSe because I was
> unhappy about Yast, in effect, abstracting me from the 'normal' way to
> configure Linux. To be honest, I ended up selecting Mandrake purely because
> it was the only other distro on the shelf in my local PC World. Have I made
> a bad choice? I know Redhat is considered to be somewhat buggy

In my experience, Redhat is not quite as buggy as SuSE.
It has some flaws, a number of them are fixed in current RH versions,
others have been fixed by us.

> so I'm a
> little uneasy about Mandrake's RH parentage, particularly as I've already
> experienced a few lock-ups (although to be fair these have all been whilst
> using KDE rather than any command-line stuff).

Did you update the kernel and initscripts packages? They fix the only
known problem that could cause lockups.

LLaP
bero

--