You can, in fact, install Star Office without Java if neccessary however...
:o)

The Java package is pretty much self installing, from memory.  Could you post
the name of the package you downloaded please because there are sources,
which is done one way, and RPMs which are done another.  For example I
downloaded the rpm.bin.

regards

Daryl

--
A definition of teaching: casting fake pearls before real swine.
                -- Bill Cain, "Stand Up Tragedy"