On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 16:29, Charlie wrote:

> > I am puzzled by the behavior of the Mandrake update system.

> > When I start it, it (seemingly) just sits there for three or four or five
> > minutes doing nothing.  The first time I tried the update, I thought the
> > system had locked up or something and nothing was happening.  But
> > apparently, it's working, but moving very S-L-O-W-L-Y...

> Howdy Seth;
>
> It's looking for the 1st install CD. Put it (CD1) in the drive and you won't
> have such slow responses.
>
> I have no idea why but mine does the same thing and fills the logs with 'error
> accessing cdrom previous message repeated umpteen times' type of fluff. I
> ignore them of course.
>
> It's a supermount thing. Supermount is still not quite "all things to all
> hardware configurations" or all people for that matter. Just run update with
> the CD in the drive and grit your teeth.
> Regards;

I was unable to reply immediately when I got this advice, but God bless you, because
it did the trick.

It would seem to be a fairly significant bug that they should have issued a patch for.
 However, your advice worked, and has saved me a lot of grief.  Thanks very much.

Seth Williamson
Floyd, VA
USA