Ralph Slooten wrote:

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 12:45:23 +0000
John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Sorry about the delay in coming back to you I have a bad cold
and went to bed early last night.

The context is pictures displayed in gimp of .pnm files scanned
from transparencies.Gimp asks me so save as RAW or ACII, and I know
not the practicle differences.I'm especially concerned about the
ability of these files to be read in other OS's .
John

LOL... I had this same problem last night ;-) I downloaded and compiled
a program called gps3d which contains a globe of the world. The
image-map is a .pnm file, and it stated there that it had to be saved in
binary form.. well, gimp gives it as either ascii or raw, neither of
which work with the program. It can open it with no problems, but after
saving (even the origional file), the programs cannot open the map.

I would sugest using another more common form (jpg, tif, png ...
whatever), which all OS's can open. Unfortunately I don't have this
choice with this program, so I'll just have to make-do with the
origional map.

Greetings
Ralph

Yes, that seems the practicle solution, use gimp to convert the .pnm
to .jpeg or something.

But I still don't really understand the practical difference between RAW
and ACII as asked by gimp in this context. As it happens I did
ordiinally accept RAW and the .pnm files it creates gimp has had no
problem converting to .jpeg so I'm not worried but had I chosen ACII
what would of been the outcome I wonder ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]