On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> >%_i've reinstalled linux again 7th time and
> it still does not work.  this time i get a timeout to login although it
> connects tolocal linux machine using ip address it will not
> complete a ftp session.
>
> I think its got something to do with the domain..
>
> I have set Domain Name: megabitwest.net
>               Host name:   http://www.megabitwest.net *
>
>       * by the way this is my URL , i hope to host my own domain with
> Linux!!!
>
> when i configured the lan ethernet card i chose ip # 209.54.142.164 (card in
> linux mach.)
>                        gateway ip # 209.54.142.161 (cisco dsl router)
>                        DNS server  ip #209.54.122.2   (my isp dns server)
>
> my /etc/inetd.conf has the line of:
> ftp    stream     tcp    nowait     root    /usr/sbin/tcpd   in.ftpd    -l  -a
>
> this is what the installation came up with!
>
> THIS IS BEYOND ME... HELP IF YOU CAN
>

> TERRY
>
> my email is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE ditch the HTML and post in plain, US-ASCII font.
Second, until your ISP (in this case, csolutions.net) is
providing the pointer to your domain, this won't work. Did
Csolutions.net give you a "machine name" to configure your
DSL router with? If so, replace "megabitwest.net" with that
information. Then you should be fine.
Second thing you need to do is work things out with
csolutions.net to provide hostname lookup services for your
domain and make sure you have a *STATIC* IP address for
your machine and reconfigure your information with Internic
(good luck! Trying to get them to stop hosting a domain is
like trying to find chicken's teeth!)
        John Aldrich