On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 08:56, Dennis & Sue wrote:
> I have been trying to install and run Wine. So far, To no avail.
> Here is the error message I get :
>
> Warning:
>     The Wine launcher is unable to find the xmessage program,
>     which it needs to properly notify you of Wine execution status
>     or problems.
>
>     This launcher script relies heavily on finding this tool,
>     and without it, it will behave very poorly.
>
>     We strongly recommend that you use your distribution's
>     software methods to locate xmessage, or alternatively
>     use your favourite internet search engine to find out
>     how you are supposed to install xmessage on your system.
>  Nothing works, And for the life of me I cannot find "xmessage".
> Any ideas ?

It should be on your system as it's an integral part of the Xwindows
core system - this is from my machine:

[root@kma1 bin]# locate xmessage
/usr/share/doc/kdelibs-devel-3.0.4/kdecore/kxmessages_h.html
/usr/X11R6/bin/xmessage
/usr/X11R6/man/man1/xmessage.1x.gz
/usr/include/kde/kxmessages.h
[root@kma1 bin]#

....ok - so with that said, you might want to explore the possibility
that you have some path statements that are mucked up - no biggie - it
happens (as we've all seen already) - make sure the following are
included in the /etc/ld.so.conf file:

/usr/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib

...save the file and run: ldconfig

...good...NOW, open up a term - it's going to plop you in the root of
your ~/home/yournamegoeshere directory - we're going to blow out the
WINE configs so that you can get them recreated - so type:

rm .wine

...this is only a directory that contains rebuild-able configurations,
so say YES to delete it...ok? Cool...now in the same term window, type:

service wine --full-restart

...and sit back...after it's done it's magic, then try to start a
Windows program again...such as I do for the following (doing so in a
term window so that all errors are viewed):

wine /mnt/c-drive/windows/sol.exe

...now, sit back and watch the errors/freak-outs or whatever and let us
(me) know what happens from there!

--
Tue Dec 31 09:40:00 EST 2002
  9:40am  up 1 day, 15:44,  6 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.14, 0.19

The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much.