On Monday 30 Dec 2002 11:53 pm, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> I am runing LM9 on a laptop.  I periodically swap the floppy drive, the
> cdrom and a 2nd hard disk in and out of a single media bay.  Supermount is
> installed and seems to work fine so that if any of the devices is
> installed, ls /mnt/<file system> returns the contents of that device/drive.
>
> I have noticed that if I try to ls the filesystem for an uninstalled device
> (e.g. ls /mnt/floppy when the floppy drive is not installed, or ls
> /mnt/cdrom when it is not installed) the system spends a lot of time
> thinking.  Usually I have to kill the terminal since nothing is returned.
> The rest of the system seems to work fine during this time and I have never
> had to reboot.
>
> I think this is related to the finding that wine freezes if I try to use a
> File -> Open dialog...I think it's trying to locate /mnt/floppy and
> /mnt/cdrom.
>
> Does anyone know why the system doesn't just return nothing after ls
> /mnt/<file system>, but rather thinks "forever"?  Is my suspicion about
> wine correct and are the problems related?  Could I create a dummy floppy
> and cdrom directory for wine to look at?  Is there another solution other
> than to turn off supermount.  How would I do this?
>
> TIA,
> Paul

I can confirm that if supermount is enabled for a device that is not present
the system will hang for a considerable time when you enter the /mnt
directory. I do not think it has anything to do with Wine.

I got around it in my laptop by just disabling supermount for my removable
floppy drive. Easy to do in Mandrake Control Centre>MountPoints Just select
'Options' and uncheck supermount.

HTH

derek

--