I have a USR Courier internal.  It would not work under Linux if jumpered for
PnP.  To have it properly installed, I:
1) logged in Windows, checked under "System Settings" which COM and IRQ Win98
was using through PnP;
2) jumpered the modem for the proper COM and IRQ, disabling PnP.
3) under linux, I used setserial and modemtool to properly finish my setup.

Hope it helps,
/Gustavo.