Anne Wilson wrote:
On Monday 06 Jan 2003 4:50 am, Chuck Burns wrote:

Unless you have lots of experience.. that means PROFESSIONAL
experience.. meaning you are a already a system admin of some other
company.

Isn't that a catch22?
It's semantic ambiguity. Does "Little experience" in the orginal question mean little experience as a sysadmin or little experience in working with Linux/Unix systems? In the latter case, you can probably get a job doing the donkey work, like adding user accounts or names and IP numbers of machines.

With small companies who are setting up a local network, you might be able to talk yourself into an overall sysadmin/technician/trainer job. In a way, this is what I do - I'm actually an English teacher, but I run our department's computers simply by virtue of being the alpha geek. It started with fixing Windows crashes, now I run a Linux FTP/samba server and a website, and have special priveleges like being able to name all the computers after characters in The Matrix. I could never hope to be a university sysadmin, though - they have guys with PhDs to do that sort of thing.

I'm not an IT professional and don't live in America, so don't take my words very seriously, though.

Sir Robin

--
"Do unto others what you would like others to do unto you. And have fun doing it."
- Linus Torvalds

Robin Turner
IDMYO,
Bilkent University