I built a server recently for web server, email server, file server and other uses and am running Mandrake 9.0 on it. I used a pair of 100 GB IBM Deskstars (120GXP's I believe). IBM is having problems with these drives failing and now recommends only using them 330 hours a month, something less than 50% of the time (see http://www.sheller.com/ibmpress.htm). My question is whether my use of these drives in a server application is something I should avoid? Also, is there a setting for power savings that would sleep the drive when it is not getting any hits (most of the time). Looks l could add a decent SCSI drive that is meant for always-on use. Your feedback is welcome.

Andy Miller