On Tuesday 07 January 2003 16:38, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Whilst installing something else, I saw what I thought was a Gimp plugin,
> and installed it.  The menu says that it is Gimp 1.3.8.  It looks like a
> later version of Gimp, but seems incomplete.  Certainly it doesn't see my
> scanner, and few .jpgs preview (I think the ones that do have been open in
> the old Gimp first, which presumably created the preview).  Opening a .jpg
> that hasn't previewed seems to result in a chequer-board display.  The
> documentation files are not present.
>
> What is this?  Is it a demo of work in hand?  It looks as though it will be
> good when it's complete, but it's pretty useless at the  moment.  Is this
> my install, or is it the program itself?
>
> Anne

No, it's a bug in 1.3.8 if you take a look in the "layers pane" you can
actually see a minature of what should be displayed. I'ts there but it's
invisible. Native gimp files (xcf) load fine though:o)

All 1.3.x versions are development versions and considered (very) unstable and
incomplete.
For stability stick to 1.2.x versions. Use that as the work-horse and 1.3 for
testing. Gimp 1.3.8 looks nice(r) though, =:o)

Good gimping,
HarM