On Thursday 09 Jan 2003 6:58 am, Brandon Vanderberg wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm using DHCPCD on a 9.0 box (2 actually) with my broadband connection.
> I'm also using a dynamic dns service.
> I need to get my boxes to update the dns when the ip changes.
>
> Now I've already got a script that does the updating and it works great,
> and it's in a cron job running hourly. Sometimes the addresses change
> once a month, sometimes more often. Rather than keep it in the cron job,
> I'd rather have it execute (and log) only when the address changes.
>
> Where's the best place for this. In the net-up script? I can't remember
> what that is, or if it's executed when the computer gets a new lease. I
> don't see a dhcpc script, just an exe.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. (And it'll significantly help remove
> unneeded entries in my log.) ;)
>
> TIA
> ~Brandon

I am not sure if the netup script will help you since I am not sure if it runs
when the DHCP license is renewed.
I use a dyndns service with an updater running as a daemon, and it works fine.
It just periodically checks the IP and if different notifies dyndns. You only
get a log entry when something changes.

 ddclient from http://burry.ca:4141/ddclient/

derek
--